Pages

Friday, January 21, 2011

You've caught the gingerbread man

Well I'm not too happy with myself right now but I guess I'm content enough to post it. I went to run last night and it didn't go all that well. I was supposed to run 7 miles but I only did 5. I was feeling fairly good at first. I was doing the first mile at 5.5mph then I walked for a minute at 1.5 miles. I continued on to 3 miles at 5.5mph and ran out of energy so walked for a minute. I continued on to 4 miles between 5mph and 5.5mph. After 4 miles I hit a wall. I had no energy, I was out of breath and my stomach was hurting. I listened to what my body was saying so I stopped at 5 miles.

After getting home I realized why my stomach was hurting... I had eaten a CliffBar more than two hours before I started running. The book I was reading said for me to eat something within two hours of running, biking or swimming. If you wait any longer your body is going to start digesting it and can possibly into dehydration mode. This is exactly how I felt. I had a Gatorade with me but that didn't seem to help. It made me feel full so I only drank half of it.

Since I've started working out I've eaten a piece of bread with some peanut butter 30 minutes before I work out and I've felt good throughout the run. On my long run days I eat a Shot Block halfway through, if the run is more than 3 miles. I guess I'll keep doing that from now on.

No comments: