Pages

Thursday, January 27, 2011

Oh $h!t I Forgot to Breathe

I just came back from my lunch break. I went to the gym to swim some laps, again focusing on technique and not distance. This time it went so much better than last time most likely because of the new goggles I bought. They're some Speedo Vanquishers that I got at Sports Authority.I read alot of good reviews on them so I thought I'd try them out. They fit perfectly without hurting my eyes and don't fog up. That helped out a lot since I didn't have to take them off after every lap. 

I started off good and didn't have any problems with my technique(at least I think I didn't) but my breathing caused some problems. It's not natural for me to exhale as soon as my face hits the water and my instinct is to hold my breath. I know it's not good for you because you're storing the CO2 in your lungs, but it's hard breathe out constantly underwater. After about 6 laps and a few mouthfuls of pool water in my stomach I finally I got it down (mostly by watching the person next to me). Not sure how many laps I swam but I stayed in the pool for about 30 minutes with a half minute break between each lap. I'm feeling more confident about the swimming part of the triathlon now. Now I need to go swim more during my lunch break.

I haven't ran at all this week because I don't want to hurt myself even more than I already am. I might attempt to run on Saturday since it's supposed to be nice outside but we'll see. I feel like I'm not improving much on my run and I have a feeling this is going to be the hardest part of the tri.

It really needs to start getting warm again so I can get back on the saddle even if it's for an hour during lunch or after work.

Speedo Vanquisher

No comments: